Ayon Firestorm: preamp required

Find other users here of VAIC equipment, or just ask your technical question here.

Ayon Firestorm: preamp required

Postby Porcino » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 am

First of all, I want to thank Jac for creating this forum!

As the history of Vaic, Ayon and Mastersound are somewhat mixxing in 2003-2005, I cannot really make out if I own a Mastersound-made, Vaic designed, Ayon relabled amplifier, or is it Ayon designed? Or is Ayon the same as Vaic? Questions questions... So maybe I'm in the wrong subforum... :roll:

I happen to have this amplifier I thouroughly enjoy, but mating it with a preamp is a little difficult. Currently I am running it from a Passlabs Balanced Line Stage (DIY) but I'm missing the top transparency and liquidity to let the Firestorm bloom. What was the running mate for those big VAIC amps back in the days?
Porcino

Re: Ayon Firestorm: preamp required

Postby Porcino » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:27 am

Whow... Big responce ;-)

Well, I have been testing the last 2 weeks. Changing the Pass for an CAT SL1 Ultimate mk-II was not a big succes. Trancients and liquidity improved but at a cost of far to much gain and a huge amount of hiss. Music seemed to be more organic though.

Next in my tryouts will be a NAT Utopia...
Porcino

Postby kaputt » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi Porcino,
maybe it's less a preamplifier and more of a speaker issue. A short while back I changed all resistors in my crossovers from metalloxide 10W types to Mills 12W wirewounds. Transparency was much improved and the Mills are not too expensive.
kaputt

Postby Porcino » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:57 am

Just wondering... Yamamoto CA-04 in combination with the Firestorm? How about that?

Sadly no Dutch importer is known...
Porcino

Postby Porcino » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Long time, no postings...

Fast Foreward to now: I ended up having Tribute Audio make me a nice TVC (inductive volume attenuator) with an ELMA 24 steps switch. Beats about every preamp I have tested :-)

Porcino

Postby MaciekP » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:33 am

Hi,
How long have you been waiting for TVC? At least a few months i think...
I have just changed noble pot and balance to stepped attenuator based on vishay z-foil naked and takman rex. Amazing openning of sound. I have also discocered something about Elma swithes.
Source selector of my preamp, after 10years has up to 100ohm (!) resistance on contact, when 10mili ohm is a standard. I disassabled it and cleaned every part with special contact cleanning fluid and it is fine. Be aware of it! After a few months check the contact resistance. In volume control you use switch much more often than for source selector
MaciekP

Return to VAIC