EML 300b XLS run time

About the Emission Labs tubes and how to use them.

EML 300b XLS run time

Postby pamioan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:52 am

First visit here!

I recently installed this tubes on my Audionote UK Kegons.

I was using western electric for 10 years. And I still have a brand new quad sitting in its box.

My question is:

My Kegons sound better by far after being continuously ON for 2 days. I usually turn them ON on Friday morning and off Sunday night.

Western Electric didn;t sound to bother being ON for 3 days.

Will it be a problem for EML? I just finished with the run in period. Leaving the amp ON no more than 4 hours every time, as the manual suggests. And I need to know if the tubes shall be safe and sound good if staying ON continuously for 3 days.

Anyone with experience on this??

Thanks
pamioan

Re: EML 300b XLS run time

Postby Admin19 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:56 pm

Hello,

good to read this on the forum! So others can use the communication as well.

With the tubes is a sheet with use instructions. It is important to read it completely before use. You received new tubes, so now first you need to burn them in. Leave them on for two days is definitely not right, and you won't get the best sound out of the tubes this way. So I recommend you to use them the normal way, and observe what they do, not leave them on overnight. Also this takes off a lot of lifetime from your tubes, every time 48 hours.

Great care must be given to amplfiers that use tubes in parallel. Such as the Kegon.

MANY amplifier builders live in a virtual world, where all tubes are having similar specifications, and where tubes in a pair are clones. This is not so, specially not after some use time. Random tubes have a grid voltage spread of 1:2 , and a matched pair will develop some difference after longer use time. So the question raises: What have they done to deal with this. Sometimes the answer is: "nothing". If schematics are kept "secret" that makes it impossible for me to check them for mistakes. And believe me, I have seen many. I stopped wondering about this, I just know it is so!

The worst thing I have ever seen is from Kondo Japan, where tubes like 2A3 are simply put in parallel with all four pins. This is fully impossible. For those who want to take that risk, it requires extremly carefull installation of the tubes, by using test tools. In a practical situation, unknowing users may just replace the tubes, and damage all four of them. Warning for this, is all we can do. Check also this link: http://jacmusic.com/html/diversen/ampli ... oblems.htm

The Audio Note UK products, I do not have all schematics, and I am missing the Kegon. It must be said the schematics I do have, look well done to me. Still I am very carefull when I see tubes in parallel. One way or another, you must ALWAYS check the bias current of each individual tube. (So not just for the pair, but for each tube of the pair).

My Questions are:

1) Was that done?
2) Do you have the schematic?

Sorry for being sooooo careful with it, don't be shocked. The 300B-XLS is very strong and forgiving. Still doing things right, gets the best out of the tubes.
Admin19
Site Admin

Postby pamioan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:36 pm

I finished with the burn in period doing exactly what was said on the including paper.

My question is if now I can leave the amps on for long periods.

Kegon schematic is exactly the same as Conquest low gain. Only difference is that Kegon is all silvered wired (including output trans and mains cables)plus black gate capacitors and silver signal capacitors. I sent the schematic to Jac before I order the tubes and he said the schematic is absolutely OK and safe to use these tubes. So no worries on this. And I already informed Andy Groove ( designer of Audionote UK) that these tubes are the best sounding 300b I have ever tried on the Kegons.

I repeat my question then. If the burn in period is done and finished as is said on paper, can I then use the tubes by leaving them ON for days?
pamioan

Postby Admin19 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 pm

The Conquerer is very good schematic. The question, to let the tubes "on" for days, this means probably day and night. In general that is unwise to do, with high voltage equipment, new or old, any brand. I must hold against this, the Conquerer schematic seems safe and well done to me. So perhaps the answer is "yes", but it should come from Audio Note as it's their product. Speaking for the tubes only, I see no problem with the Conquerer.
Admin19
Site Admin

Postby pamioan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks for the reply,

Audionote recommends all its products to stay ON if everyday use is happening.

They also suggest that the life of a tube is longer staying all the time ON than turning ON and OFF everyday. They base their statement on the fact that the shock of the tube every time it is turned ON is worse than living the tube ON for many hours!

I don't know if this is true of not.

Personally, although I listen to music everyday, I prefer to turn ON and OFF the system everyday and leave it continuously ON only on Weekends.
pamioan

Postby Admin19 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:22 am

where do they suggest this?
Admin19
Site Admin

Postby pamioan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Here it is a passage of the owners manual of M8 preamp which can be found in the Audionote website:

"The M8 will improve over time and will start to sound increasingly well
balanced. This is because of the “bedding in” time taken by new electrical
components inside the unit. Also, the pre-amplifier’s sound quality improves as the
unit reaches its normal, stable operating temperature. Only a rear panel on/off switch
is provided as the unit is designed for continuous operation. M8 need not be switched off each time after use.
It is interesting to note that continuous operation
not only results in optimum sonic performance (since the unit is maintaining a
constant operating temperature) but also causes less electrical stress and so extends
component and valve life"
pamioan

Postby adson3492 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:19 pm

adson3492

Return to EML FORUM